Thursday, May 5, 2011

If you can't say something nice...

Have you ever lied to a care provider because you are afraid of hurting their feelings?
I have.  I know it probably seems silly, but you know, I've never been good at break ups.
     I visited an acupuncturist for a little while during my morning sickness, and though it was nice to lay down for twenty minutes and listen gentle new age music, I am fairly certain it had no lasting benefits, especially considering that on one occasion I puked immediately upon leaving the office.  But the acupuncturist was so nice, and so confident in her methods, and I didn't want to seem close minded.  I would say things like, "I always love coming to your office.", or "I think its helping a little; I am sure it will build over time."
     That's not the worse case though.  Once I kept seeing this Indian doctor for a year even though I would only ever understand one in three things he said.  It was ridiculous, but again, he was this really cute elderly doctor, and I didn't want to seem like a jerk.  He would chat away, laughing at his own jokes, and all I could do was nod and smile, waiting for him to refill my prescription.  At one point I was considering going to see another doctor at the same time, but then I would have felt like I was cheating on him.  I would probably still be seeing him, but I moved out of state.  I loved that guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment